Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Blessings... #6 & 7

I finally have a moment to sit down and put some thought into the last two blessings in my week long journey. I am frustrated that I missed a few nights but we are short on people at work so I've been pulling some crazy shifts. I took some comp time tonight and left work early. On my way home I stopped at a local apple orchard and picked up some apples, as I was not able to pick my own with my mom and grandma this year. I had considered finding my way to the couch and spending the evening there but instead I decided to spend my evening in the kitchen making goodies for my wonderful husband. We had filet mignon and creamed potatoes for dinner and an autumn cheesecake for dessert. Now, the goodies are gone, the house is clean, Steve has disappeared to hit office and here I sit, in my over-stuffed, double size chair, watching Desperate Housewives. I am surrounded by cats, (well, two of them. Rampage is off reeking havoc on a roll of paper towels) with my yankee candles burning and everything is just so peaceful. (again, except for Rampage.) I've decided that, trying to number my many blessings has become to difficult. With a limit of 7 days in a week I have gone over my list of blessings numerous times changing things and adding things and rearranging as I saw fit and then I just decided, there are simply too many.
So, tonight's blessing is really just a big lump of all of my blessings.
Blessing #6... My life
Blessing #7... Everything and everyone in it.
I am surrounded on a daily basis by so much love. My husband, my cats, my friends, my family, my co-workers. I just can't even begin to describe how happy I am.
I don't mean to rub this in any one's face who may be going through difficult times. We all go through difficult times and trust me, I've had my share. But these moments of true peace make all the difficult times worth it.
Counting my blessings had taught me to "stop and smell the roses." To look for the silver lining of every cloud. And in doing so, I seem to be noticing the sweet moments of life more often.
We, as faulted humans, take so much for granted. We come to expect things the more they are given to us and in time it leads us to be selfish and ungrateful for the things we have. There are certainly things that I want, don't get me wrong, but right now, I am content to sit right where I am and do just what I am doing right now.
The key to a happy life is to truly enjoy what you have. And to my core, I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment