Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Blessings... #5

Blessing #5 - My God children.

For those of you who are close to me, you know why I am writing this particular blessing tonight. I have had the sheer joy of spending my weekend with my Godson Anthony. Anthony is four years old. He is the son of my dear friend Anna and because they live in New Jersey, I don't often have the chance to spend one on one time with him. Taking the time to do so has been such an honor and I have learned so much about him and myself in the short 12 hours we've been together. Anthony's parents are on vacation in Puerto Rico right now, the honeymoon they never had, so the time I have had has not been as "the friend of mom" but as sole care-giver for the time being. I am exhausted, to my core, but also, so so fulfilled.
I picked Anthony up at noon today. We went to my favorite pizzeria where I ordered a slice and he ordered noodles with sauce. He then decided, upon seeing my slice, that he wanted it. So I picked the mushrooms off and gave him my pizza, and I enjoyed his pasta. We then did some shopping, where I spent WAY too much on a ghost flashlight that lights up blue, red and purple and gummy bears that he has yet to touch. Later in the evening we went to my sister's house for a jewelry party (I'm sure he was excited about that!) and then came home and put him in bed. It was this time that I realized how much he truly means to me. He asked me to crawl into bed with him and just sit with him for a while. I put in my favorite VHS, Winnie the Pooh and the Seasons of Giving (since a VCR is all we have in the guestroom) and laid down with him. He fell asleep on my lap and for over an hour, every time I moved, he woke up... But finally he didn't. And when I freed myself, I turned to look at his adorable sleeping face and realized that these are the small moments that make life worth living. I can't wait to take him to the pumpkin patch tomorrow. <3
Now, I am proud to report that Anthony is not my only god-child. I have been blessed with four of them! Jacob who is nine, Jayden who is eight, Anthony who is four and little Natalie Rose who is six months old.
I regret that I cannot spend as much time with all of them as I would like. Two jobs, a husband, a home, three cats and commitments to the community keep me moving all the time. But they are all just as wonderful as the next in my eyes.
I have not had the blessing of my own children, but until that day, I will gladly enjoy the ones my friends have trusted me with.
Being a God-parent means taking the responsibility to make sure the child is raised with a good Christian lifestyle. So many people these days think otherwise. Over and over again I have seen people choose their children's Godparents by who is their best friend at time or who they feel they owe something to. This saddens me because I believe the term is overused and misused. Does it make sense to ask an atheist to be the GOD-Father of your child? How will that person ever really uphold the meaning of the position? I have had the joy of discussing God and Jesus to all of my Godchildren (the ones who can talk at least. Sorry Natalie.) And I just love when they ask to learn more. I have made tradition of buying each one their "first Christmas" ornaments and have even bought children's Bibles for a couple of them.
I'm not trying to get onto a religious rant. I am simply stating that I take my position very seriously.
These children have become staples in my life and I am so glad that I have been given the opportunity to be such an important part of all of their lives.
I love watching them grow. They are all completely different from each other and it is amazing to sit back and watch what each becomes. I am sure they will all be beautiful, successful and caring people, as their parents and myself of course, will do whatever it takes to achieve just that.
The only way this night could have been better is if I had all four of my beautiful Godchildren snuggling with me. <3

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Jenni and I love you! I am so blessed to have you as Jayden's Godmother! We are so thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love both of you so much! You and Jayden! <3

    ReplyDelete