Monday, September 26, 2011

My Blessings ... #4

Blessing #4 - The Food on my Table

This blessing wasn't originally on my list of blessings but I ended up spending my evening exchanging recipes with my friends and now, this blessing just seems right.
I enjoy cooking to the point that it is my therapy. When I was a kid I hung out inside, while my sister and cousins were running around outside, intrigued by the things my grandfather could do in the kitchen. I would watch his every move, memorize his secret ingredients and, when I was old enough, try to recreate his dishes. Obviously I never could recreazte them. Let's face it, it's never as good as grandpas! So, I started tweaking the recipes and creating my own variations.
My favorite family recipe to this day is my Grandma Dukett's fudge, which is actually a German Tablet. For those who don't know, a tablet (tabe-let) is actually a sugar confection that originated in Scotland. The difference is the brittle, grainy texture as it is close to a candy than a fudge. Being a Dukett recipe, cocoa and peanut butter were added. In a Dukett home, Christmas is not Christmas unless there is a pot of this amazing deliciousness boiling on the stove.
Oops, I've gone off on a rant. The point is, there are so many people out there without food, none the less the amazing dishes that we get to enjoy everyday.
We should thank God every time we sit at the table. Especially if you have food in front of you like I've had the pleasure of enjoying in my lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment